The Academic Senate at SBCC follows the guidance of the statewide Academic Senate for California Community Colleges, which strives to promote the effective participation in their colleges’ decision making in academic and professional matters. These matters are widely known as the “ten plus one”, and are locally specified in SBCC’s Board Policy 2510, following Title 5, Sections 53200-53206.
Academic and professional matters include:
- Curriculum, including the establishment of prerequisites and placing courses within disciplines
- Degree and certificate requirements
- Grading policies
- Educational program development
- Standards or policies regarding student preparation and success
- District and College governance structures as related to faculty roles
- Faculty roles and involvement in accreditation processes, including self-study and annual reports
- Policies for faculty professional development activities
- Processes for program review
- Processes for institutional planning and budget development
- Other academic and professional matters as mutually agreed upon between the governing board and the academic senate
In addition, the consultation will include faculty hiring processes.
The work of the Academic Senate is made possible by the dedication of numerous faculty, namely senators, committee chairs and members of senate committees. Our College serves our students better because of the participation of our college faculty in the institutional decision making.
For any Academic Senate concerns, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Melanie Eckford-Prossor, President